Friday, December 7, 2012

A day that shall live in infamy.


It's important to keep the memories alive.  I'll admit that WWII doesn't impact me as much as it does others from a personal perspective: through the "accident" of when my ancestors were born, I haven't had a direct ancestor serve in combat since the Civil War.  So, while I grew up hearing about the Depression from my grandparents, they were too old and my aunts and uncles too young to serve in WWII.  My dad was too young for Korea and too old for Vietnam.  I try to make up for it in other ways by educating myself, learning about the history and the sacrifices Americans made.  Eric and I had the opportunity to visit Pearl Harbor in August 2000.  It is very moving, and still full of meaning, despite being long, long "dead".

My friend Ethan has a more familiar connection to WW2.  Check out his memorial here: Thelbert.


No comments:

Post a Comment