Sunday, August 5, 2012

Just a normal weekend....

Nothing out of the ordinary going on here.  Had a table at a local vendor fair yesterday, then went out to dinner with the family last night.  Went to church this morning, spending the afternoon working on proposals, and then I need to replace the thermal fuse in the dryer since the replacement fuse arrived yesterday.

I'm really surprised how few people fix their own appliances when things break.  I'm not sure why this is.  Maybe because I grew up in a house where we did our own maintenance because it saved money, I just assumed that's what you did.  I took the dryer apart, troubleshot the problem (YouTube is an AMAZING resource for troubleshooting nearly anything), ordered the part, and I'll put everything back together and test it.  Out of pocket expense is less than $20, which could have been less since I sprang for 2-day shipping (you try going a week without a dryer in a house with kids and no clothesline).  $20.  It probably would have cost me $50 to just have someone come to the house, never mind the labor and parts to fix it.

So my public service announcements for today are 1. Clean all the lint out of your dryer and ducts once a year.  This means taking the front panel off too and vacuuming the interior guts.  2. Learn to use basic tools.  All I needed to open up my dryer was a screwdriver and a socket set, and a multimeter to test the components.

No comments:

Post a Comment